Monday, July 18, 2011

The Sign Of A LadyBug

I normally don't write twice in a day, but sometimes that happens.

Anyway, remember the post that I talked about Labyrinth briefly? I figured today is a good day as any to finally talk about Labyrinth. One of my close friends is a certified Labyrinth facilitator and she is very passionate about teaching people about using labyrinths for a variety of purposes, including mediation or de-stressor tool. In short, walking Labyrinth is a form of mediation widely practiced by many folks.

She took Stu and I to walk the Labyrinth when we stopped to stay with her toward the end of our honeymoon trip. It turned out to be a very spiritual experience that I have had in a long while.

(All of the pictures shown here are copyrighted to J.D.)

Labyrinth

Before I can proceed with the story, I must give you a quick background to help you, as a reader, to truly understand where I am going with this.

My grandma, who was dubbed as Sweet Mama, was dying. I held her hand, marveling at how paper-thin her skin had become, and a sense of sadness washed over me. Here she was, once a charming, strong, beautiful and animated woman, slowly letting go of life. As I whispered a silent farewell to her, a ladybug landed on her limp arm, and crawled its way across her chest to our interlocked hands. The ladybug sat briefly then spread its wings and fluttered away. Unknowingly to me at that very moment, the ladybug had become a sign for me from Sweet Mama.

Only a few times since Sweet Mama's death, I have always been blessed with a visit from a ladybug. Now, I didn't get to be "touched" by a ladybug very often. I was not in any of places where ladybugs often frequented when every incident occurred. So, when that happened, I knew it was Sweet Mama saying I love you and I'm here for you.

Now back to the story.

I was walking the Labyrinth. I thought about Sweet Mama. Would Sweet Mama have enjoyed our wedding? Would she have liked Stu if she had met him? I wished she would have been there in the person. My heart ached at the absence of Sweet Mama. Suddenly, I felt tickling on my thigh. I looked down, about to brush at my thigh at whatever was tickling my thigh, and saw a circular dot of red bug. Before I could scoop it up, it flew directly up onto my arm and crawled as I curled my fingers into a cup. To my amazement, it was a ladybug. It sat in my cupped hand for a minute then flew away.

I knew right there. I knew it was Sweet Mama telling me she had loved me. It was wonderful and beautiful. And she certainly had approved of Stu.

It was when this line entered into my mind, "Sometimes you have to let go of things so there's room for better things to come into your life."

Some people may dismiss this as a fantasy, yearning, or seeing a connection that is not quite there. Some people seek for signs in the wrong places. Some people continue to pine for signs from their deity without realizing that the answer is right in front of their eyes all along.

It doesn't require you to be a clairvoyant, a rocket scientist, or a mathematical genius to find answers. You don't have to be in a 'right' religion to find answers in your life. 

All you have to do is open your eyes.