Thursday, December 1, 2011

DIY Chalkboard

I don't know if any of you have heard of Pinterest. It is a really cool site where you find bunch of crafts and DIY (Do It Yourself) projects, pictures, interests, and many more. I found this really cool idea through Pinterest and it is how to make a chalkboard! 

I really wanted to make one. The result was amazing so I thought I would share it with you guys. The best part? It was super easy to make! 

What you need:
A frame of any kind
A cardboard type of material (it has to be hard)
Gorilla Glue
Chalk spray paint 

Tutorial: 


I got this frame from Hobby Lobby.
You can use any frame you prefer;
You can even get one from Goodwill
and cut out the old paint inside and keep the back cover
or purchase a bare frame like I did from any
craft store nearby. 


For the cardboard back; I purchased
a plain 18x24 picture frame.
I removed the black frame sidings, the plastic cover,
and kept the cardboard back cover.

You can purchase plain cardboard as long as it is
hard from any craft store or use the old
painting back cover. Up to you.

There are alternatives that you can use! 


Make sure that the cardboard fits the
back of the frame if you buy them
separately.

If you get an old frame with a painting
then remove the painting and keep the hard back.




With the chalk spray paint,
spray the front part of the cardboard if
there is any hanging nub in the back of it.

Do this outside or in a very well-ventilated area.

Leave it to dry for several hours. 


Make sure you have this brand called
Gorilla Glue.

OR

You can purchase wood glue. I prefer
Gorilla Glue because it is really strong
adhesive and works really well.


Glue the edge of the frame.
If you are using Gorilla Glue then
apply thin layer. If you glue on too much
then it will seep out onto the board.

Let it dry overnight.



The result is this!


Like I said; it is really super easy to make and fun! You can use it to plan your weekly menu and hang it in the kitchen for your family to see, or decorate your kid's play room.


Love,

Photobucket