Saturday, June 23, 2012

Anniversary #1: The Year Of Changes


It is our first anniversary and I am finding it to be an emotional day for me. 

A year ago, I married my best friend of nearly now eight years, and it was one of the best days in my life. I knew I was going to marry my husband when he first came to me and asked me, in my language, to be his girlfriend. I was blessed to have loving friends, and family to witness our matrimony. Little did I know that by our first wedding anniversary that so much would have changed. It was the year of changes. 


We took a plunge shortly after our wedding and moved to a brand-new location far away from where we were living for first two years because Stu was offered a new job. He wanted to expand his experiences as a teacher working in a different school district, to coach at a college level (which has always been his dream), and to attend graduate school to further his education. 

We moved into a really adorable duplex which felt more like a home than our apartment that we lived in previously. The move happened so quickly after our wedding. I had to adjust pretty quickly from living in the country to living in a city. It was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be because I was with my husband and our cats. 


After we became settled in our new home; we quickly made friends with our neighbors, and felt like as if we were living there for longer than a few months due to our neighbors' warm welcomes. We began to talk about the possibility of adopting a dog since we had a bigger place, and a yard at last! I started doing my homework--of course, for those who knew me would tell you that I'm a planner--and came up with a compromise with Stu. He wanted a hound dog and I was not a big fan of hound breeds, but when I came across to Basset Hounds; I just knew this was going to be a good fit for us, and I bought it up to Stu. He agreed! I began scouring around for rescue groups that were affiliated with Basset Hounds. 

After a few months of looking around, it was when we came across to Layla on Petfinder and her AD description was: My name is Layla and I am 3-4 years old. I am sweet and lovable and just a perfect girl. I live in a foster home with other dogs and kids and I am doing great there. I would love to have a home of my own. Could it be with you?

This is her original AD picture! 

A few emails being exchanged, and an interview later; we were approved to adopt Layla, and we drove an hour south to pick her up! It was so exciting to bring her home despite her being shy and nervous about moving into a new family. Shortly after bringing her home, we went through an adjustment period with Layla. Over the course of several months; Layla grew more comfortable and began to realize that she was really at home with us. There was no turning back ever since. She befriended Missy Girl and continued, even to this day,  to appease Mr. Jinxy into a having a friendship with her! She brought us so much joy and happiness. A day had not gone without one of us bursting out laughing at Layla's latest clownish behavior. She was a perfect fit with our little family.


Even so, our little family was still incomplete.

We were already approaching into our early 30s, and we felt that we were settled down enough to start considering a newest addition to our family....a little baby Russ! For a long while, it was just up in the air and bunch of serious discussion to air our concerns, fears, goals, and dreams. We finally decided that the timing was never going to be right, and we might as well start trying for a baby since we were already together for 7 years by that point.

Never in our wildest dream that we would conceive so quickly. But we did. It was our little miracle that we were already expecting before Christmas. Our first doctor appointment came quickly after the holidays and we found out when we were expecting our baby.


Yes, all of this happened within a year. This was the year of many changes.

As I sat down cross-legged on the floor, I opened a very special container that was given to me at my bridal shower over a year ago:


I dumped the contents out of this container and a warm fuzz spread in my chest while I gingerly picked each envelope, and searched for the right envelope. 


There it was. The right envelope addressed for us on our very first anniversary. Immediately, I recognized the handwriting. Also, there was the only one person who would ever call me Boo. It belonged to my mom. 


I tore open the sleeve of the envelope on the back as carefully as I could not to ruin the cover and the letter inside. I read the words carefully while I began to tear up (Matter of fact, I am already tearing up again while I am typing this!!). 

Dear Boo & Stu;
Remember the wedding? Doesn't it feel like yesterday? Time flies when you
love and cherish each other. Always talk things out, never go to sleep angry. I
wish you love forever and happiness. Love Mom Therese
Ps: Where are my grandkids? 




Through my tears, I laughed at my mom's very post-script comment because her wish did come true already  albeit no twins!


As I take my husband's hand into mine and I smile at him, I feel very cherished and loved. I am reminded by our last dance song at our wedding: 

The best is yet to come.....



Love,

Photobucket

2 comments :

  1. This is just always so beautiful, so heart felt, so inspiring.
    I just, thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! August 20th is my birthday!

    ReplyDelete