Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What To Pack For Your Hospital Bag: Necessities

This is the first of few segments that I am planning on posting. It is to help Mama-To-Be to determine what she should pack for the hospital bag! I find it annoying when I am unable to figure out what I need to pack and there are million of different responses all over the internet sites, among your friends and family members.  This led to a decision to lump everything together in few posts to help reduce confusion for new mamas! 

***If you are not a baby person then feel free to skip this week blog posts since it will be about packing Hospital bag, expectations, and necessities. Of course, I will be posting my weekly pregnancy bump this Friday evening after my doctor's appointment!  Next week, it will be less baby-orientated, I promise! ***

Necessities that you should pack. 



1. Tissues. Face it, you'll be crying when you first lay your eyes on your newborn. 
Then there's hormones going nutty inside your body, and not to mention that 
delivery/recovery room can be pretty chilly! 

2. Shaving Razor. Even if you are not planning on shaving yourself then keep it in your mind
that your husband or partner may appreciate having one!

3. Facial Wipes. Just because you want to feel clean, right? Especially if you
are planning on putting on make-up when visitors come to see you and your baby!

4. Shampoo.

5. Soap.

6. Conditioner & mushy ball. 

*Sometime, hospitals will provide you with their own, but there's no guarantee. 
It is better to be safe than sorry to pack your own! 

7. Hand lotion. It will be really dry. If you are anything like me, then 
you're prone to dry skin. 

8. Shaving cream. Again, your husband or partner may appreciate this especially
if they have to stay in the hospital for more than 2 days!

9. Toothbrushes

10. Toothpaste. 

**Better to pack new ones for your husband/partner and yourself. That way,
you won't accidentally forget it while you're packing the bag at last minute while in labor!

11. Q-Tips. I have sensitive ears, and I definitely plan on showering after 
giving birth. So this is a necessity for me to have water out of my ears! 

12. Deodorant for your husband/partner. Don't forget about him/her! 

13. Purell anti-bacterial lotion. You don't want your visitors to be handling your newborn without
having clean hands!

14. Deodorant for yourself! It is easier to purchase a traveling size one and put it away so you
don't have to worry about forgetting your own last minute!

15. Chapstick. It is a MUST. You will be laboring for many hours. You will be parched.
As result, your lips will crack. Better to have one at the hand! 



If you are anything like me then you don't really see a point in buying a really fancy nice bag to keep your necessities intact. I don't want to have to spend $24-$40 on a cute cosmetic bag that I will probably only use once. So I come up with a simpler solution. Use a gallon zip-lock bag! Honestly, it is cheaper and cost-effective way to keep everything together in one bag. You also can toss the zip-lock bag out once it is done being used.



If you are planning on breastfeeding then make sure to include nipple cream to alleviate your cracked and sore nipples. It doesn't sound pretty or fun, I know, and it is part of process of breastfeeding until you and your baby get the hang of it. Also, include the pads because you will be leaking! Even if you *do not* plan on breastfeeding and use formula instead to feed your baby then I'd still suggest you to still pack pads because you will definitely be leaking until your milk supply dries up. 

If you are planning on breastfeeding and/or pumping the milk for your newborn, then bring your pump(s) if you have one. It can be helpful to learn how to pump while you are in the hospital especially when you are given an opportunity to work with a lactation consultation. Many hospitals does offer rental pumps if you do not own one. I find it better to have one on the hand even if you are planning on breastfeeding for majority of the time because you just never know. You might end up with a baby that is unable to latch well because of premature birth, struggling to latch on, or because of how your nipples are (inverted or flat). It can be good to take advantage of your lactation consultation while you are staying at the hospital! 

Stay posted for the next few posts regarding this topic. 

7 comments :

  1. You probably won't need purell... there was hand sanitizer everywhere in the hospital for our guests to use when they came to visit.

    Also, you won't leak until way after your milk comes in- somewhere between day 3 and 7, breast pads aren't super necessary :)

    And come to think about it... I didn't have ANY of my bfing supplies ready because baby came early so the hospital provided me with a pump, medela pump parts, lasinoh cream.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I disagree with Jaci about the breast pads - I leaked all over my gown the first night after she was born! I went to sleep after my C-section without a bra on, I woke up 3 hours later to go to the NICU to feed her and my chest was soaked! Pack them just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say pack the breast pads just in case. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would skip 1, 2, 7, 8, and 13. You won't need the razor/shaving cream--you're only there for a couple of days. And the other things the hospital has a plethora of (unless you need specific brands of lotion and sanitizer). Also, most hospitals have a pump that you can use while you're there...you will have time to figure your own out. Hospital should also have nipple cream that you can use in small sample sized bottles--take those so you always have some in your purse! Also make sure you pack a couple of nursing bras or tank tops so you can feel dressed when people come to visit instead of just wearing the gown. You'll probably want to get dressed. And you'll need one to walk out in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our hospital gave me nipple cream and breast pads, which was a life saver because I did in fact leak. A lot. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. don't forget to pack pads! My hospital only provided the diaper style one for right after delivery and the first night. Come the next day I wanted out of that thing so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would suggest bringing your own towel unless you know the hospital has soft ones! i was left with an awful, scratchy towel that felt like razors on my skin. nursing tanks are amazing -- try to stay away from sized nursing bras until your milk supply stabilizes (which could take a few weeks). hand sanitizer and tissues are everywhere in hospitals.

    and another suggestion... unless the hospital is really far away, have your husband go home to get a good night's sleep once the baby is born. the nurses will help you with whatever you need, you probably won't get much sleep the first night (adrenaline rush after the labor and delivery), so someone at home should be well-rested. just a thought!

    ReplyDelete