Friday, February 1, 2013

Cloth Diapering Friday: Doing Cloth Diaper Part-Time

 Since Stu (my husband) and I are visual people, we need to be able to touch, feel, and see diapers in the person before making any major decision with cloth diapering. 

I purchased two really cute cloth diapers from Mom & Pops Place nearby my home last week, and I was dying to try them out even though I had only gotten two. I wanted to get Flip Diaper, but the store did not carry those. I resigned to buying Bumgenius 4.0 pocket diaper, and Thirsties Duo All In One. I went home, and showed them to Stu. Immediately, Stu showed a dislike toward pocket diaper, and seemed to prefer AIO. Funny, I was the opposite! He asked about Flip Diaper, and I explained him that there was none at the store. We decided to go and ahead and buy one online at later time. 

Anyway, My little wiggly bug was extra wiggly this morning, and did not really want to cooperate with pictures. He pulled down the sheets, twisted them, rolled around, and kicked his chub feet in glee. Staying still? Please. There was no interest in staying still. 

So please bear with my mediocre pictures this time around. 



Thirsties Duo AIO

Bumgenius 4.0 Pocket Diaper
Stu had to prop Forrest since he was being way too wiggly, and not staying still. I've also given up on trying to make background sheet look nice! Ha ha ha.

Bumgenius 4.0 diaper underneath Onesie.

I was not a big fan of how AIO had looked on Forrest underneath his onesie. It looked super bulky, and I had a hard time snapping the Onesie together at the crotch. I understood why some people preferred those for short-term reasons such as long car rides, or bedtime use. Then again, it was really easy to put AIO on, and there was no assembling required. It came in really handy with my son since he was super eager to roll around, and kick at the air.

I liked Bumgenius, and how it contorted to his bum and thighs. It wasn't a chore to stuff the pocket with the liner. The cloth diaper looked less bulky on Forrest. On the other hand, Stu wasn't so crazy about stuffing the liner into the pocket. 

We talked it over, and agreed that we wanted to see how Flip had looked on Forrest. If we had liked Flip, and it seemed to be a good fit for Forrest, then we wanted to get both Bumgenius 4.0 pockets and Flip Hybrid Diapers. This led to another decision....

We decided that it was better to go with cloth diapers part-time at this moment with Forrest. 

Why part-time instead of full-time cloth diapering?

We are still learning about cloth diapers, and we want to have more freedom to experiment with different brands in the categories that we like. Basically, Forrest is our experiment baby! Once we find what works for us then we will stick with the brand for #2. The place we are living in currently isn't that big, and we don't have a lot of room to keep a nice stash of cloth diapers in Forrest's bedroom. It feels right to start off small then jump into it when we feel more ready!

We are going to do cloth diapers during the day, and disposable for the night. If the cloth diapers work out well for us during the day, then we will gradually switch to the cloth diapers for the night as well. I am sure it is what will happen anyway!

I've learned that some people prefer to use cloth diaper part-time because several day-cares does not take babies in if they wear cloth-diapers, because of budget--it can be really expensive to buy a full set of cloth diapers, and because of time being invested in prepping, washing, and drying them before babies can wear them.

Some are like me, they are still learning, and experimenting and does not want to have spend too much on cloth diapers then find out that it is not for them.


3 comments :

  1. He is SO adorable!!!

    Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Liebster Award!

    Feel free to check out my blog post on it here! http://passthecinnamon.blogspot.ca/2013/01/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started off part time too! About 5 months later we moved to mostly full time. It took some getting used to that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete