Thursday, March 14, 2013

What Ever Happened to the Ugly Vampires?

At the butt crack of the dawn, I either come up with profound meaningful thought, or completely random offbeat insight that I normally don't get during my normal waking hours. 

This was the latter. 



The other day, I was woken up at 4 am to nurse Forrest, and I turned TV on. To my glee, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, was on. It was an O-M-G slash nostalgic moment, and definitely took me back to my teenage years. While watching Buffy, Angel appeared, and transformed into a vampire. I thought to myself, what an ugly vampire....then the second thought appeared shortly after...as a real vampire should be. Shall I present you a picture example of Angel....



It got me thinking about ugly vampires that I grew up with. Now, that was REAL vampire should be, in my humble opinion. They are supposed to be scary!

The Lost Boys:


The Fright Night (Original): 


Dracula with Gary Oldman:


Then we sort of evolved from ugly vampires to pretty vampires. I kind of blame it on Interview with the Vampire. Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, and Antonio Banderas pretty much ruined it for the ugly, scary looking vampires. We went from fearing them to finding them sexy. Great. 

*In case if you didn't notice, the last word I typed was in pure sarcasm* 


Ever since, I don't remember seeing unattractive vampires anymore. Vampire Diaries, Underworld, True Blood, Blood Ties, Blade, Daybreakers, and so many more....only villains are hideous, and heros/heroines are undeadly attractive. I have gotten so used to seeing nice-looking vampires that I forgot all about unattractive vampires. 

After seeing Angel on Buffy...I have to question something. 

How did we go from ugly vampires then to pretty vampires....and finally to this????



 So, at 4 am, after a long sigh, some eye rolling, and a shake of my head, my final thought, after I put Forrest down back to sleep, and snuggling under my bed covers, was exactly this:


3 comments :

  1. Hahahahaha! YES! As I wrote my own post, reminiscing on the past tonight, I was thinking about Buffy and wondering the same thing! So funny! Vampires just seem like wimps now. Lol I do love me some David Borreanaz though! (Not sure if that's how you spell his name)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!!! I absolutely love Sheldon and that bit at the bottom! :) But honestly, I am a Twilight fan (hugely so) and so I would definitely have to agree to disagree. Plus, I am NOT a fan of scary/horror-type stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! One of the reasons I refuse to have anything to do with Twilight is because in my mind vampires are supposed to burn in sunlight, not that sparkling crap. I grew up watching Buffy too - those were real vampires!

    ReplyDelete