Thursday, May 23, 2013

Lessons That I've Learned In One Night

A life of a mommy is rarely boring. I manage to throw myself into the most catastrophic situations all of the time, and I am not sure why that happens, but it just does. I no longer dread them. Actually, I welcome the craziness into my life.

A few weeks ago, I was smacked with not one, not two, not three, but several lessons all at once. I was spending my time in the kitchen--where else, I love being in kitchen, and I washed a bunch of sweet potatoes. I had recently discovered a really yummy recipe of making sweet potato pancakes. Seriously, they were pretty delicious! So I wanted to make a batter to freeze, and prepare for future cooking. It had been years since I last had a garbage disposal in our home. 

Hence Lesson  number one:

Don't toss sweet potato peels into the garbage disposal because it will create a nasty clog. 

As it is my customary, I often have Forrest play underfoot on the kitchen floor, and he loves it. He enjoys pulling out Tupperware that I have specifically set aside for a very curious baby to play with. This keeps him out of my hair while I am cooking. It keeps him occupied, and encourages his developmental process. Bonus! However, it can backfire if you fail to baby-proof everything. That night, I forgot to baby-proof one critical thing.....

Lesson number two: 

Unsupervised baby alone with a dog water dish will guarantee a mini-lake in the kitchen hallway. 

Well, by not baby-proofing the dog area; Forrest's curiosity got the best of him, and he had to check it out. He has inherited my love for water, and was unable to resist the temptation to tip over the water dish bowl. Here I was, stuck to the spot I was standing; torn between the spewing garbage disposal, and a giggling, soaking wet baby. 

Lesson number three: 

Remain calm is the best way to go between a clogged garbage disposal, thinking OMG, my husband is going to kill me, and OMG, my baby is soaking wet. 

For a moment, I was tempted to give into my panic, and run around flailing my arms while screaming on top of my lung, but I realized that was an easy way out. I looked at my soaking wet baby, and collectively took a very deep breath. I wanted to teach my child that women are self-sufficient, independent, and capable of taking care of themselves instead of falling into society's trap of belief that women were anything but that. I wanted to teach Forrest that remaining calm, and finding a solution was better than placing that problem upon someone else to fix. Also, I just didn't want my husband to kill me. 

Lesson number four: 

Vinegar, and the baking soda, as suggested by Ehow.com is crap. It does not work in unclogging a heavy clog, and will just reek up the kitchen. 

By being self-reliant, I searched online as in how to fix a clogged pipe, and tried the suggestion with vinegar and baking soda. Well, mission failed. It failed miserably, I tell you. People failed all of the time, but they still made it through. Instead of giving up, I knew I had to unscrew the pipes, and manually remove the clog. I was a bit nervous because well, I was not a handyman, and had very little experience with fixing clogs. 

Lesson number five: 

Unscrewing the pipes under the sink, and removing the clog are not as hard as it looks. Putting the pipes back together is also not as hard as it looks.

I was really surprised at how easy it was to unscrew the pipes. I worried that I needed to use snake to remove the nasty mushed up potato peelings, and my worry was for nothing. I just used my fingers to dig out the nastiness out of the pipe, and clumped them into a bowl. The only struggle I had was to make sure that Layla didn't eat any of the potato peelings while I dug it out. Then I put the pipes back together. Easy Peasy. I plugged in the garbage disposal and crossed my fingers that it was still working just fine. Thanks to my lucky stars, the garbage disposal ran like a beauty instead of spewing like a demon from hell. Forrest was fascinated by the whole process. Hey, I was entertaining the baby instead of having him continue to get into trouble with dog food, and water. 

Lesson number six: 

Soggy potato peels is a great way to feed the birds in the yard while thanking baby Jesus that it is not any worse than it was, and my chances of being killed by my husband is drastically dropped to a zero. 

I hauled the nasty smelly potato peels along with dirty water, and dumped it all over the yard. Good riddance, and good bye to the nastiness. I slumped against the wall, and expelled a heavy sigh. Thank god, I muttered to myself, then entered my home. I picked up my baby, and kissed him on top of his matted head then changed him into dry clothes. Once he was dried, and warm; I mopped up the lake in our kitchen hallway, and refilled the water bowl for Layla. It was when my final lesson hit me.

Lesson number seven:

It is easier to laugh at this crazy chaos that just had occurred, and let this woman roar! 




1 comment :

  1. Oh I am sorry that all happened in one day for you!

    I have tried that baking soda trick before too, not impressed at all.
    I have a saying I picked up from an old boss "if you don't laugh you cry". It has kind of become my motherhood mantra.

    ReplyDelete