Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers, mothers-to-be, sisters, nieces, cousins, grandmothers, aunts, daughters, and friends. 

It's my first Mother's Day as a mother with Forrest finally here in the world. I have always believed that Mother's Day is a beautiful way of honoring women in our lives; let it be our mothers, step-mothers, sisters whether spiritual or biological, girlfriends, wives, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, aunts, great-aunts, and women all around us. There are women who have shaped my life, and I am very blessed to have them in my life. 

I consider Aunt Ro to be my second mom. She helped my mom to raise my brother, and I along her own kids...who I happen to consider my own siblings as well! 

My mom and I have had our ups, and downs. Our relationship may not be perfect, and it's imperfectly perfect. 
I love Aunt Mimi (Marlene), and she has always been one of my favorite aunts growing up. I feel that we have very similar personalities of being free-spirited, crafty, empathetic, and steadfast.

Lauren is my sister by blood, and spirit. She may be biologically my cousin, but she will always be my sister. 

My best childhood friend, Katie. We have had a lot of GREAT memories. Now we both are mothers, and we are continuing to create memories together in motherhood. 

She was my interpreter during my college years. I considered her to be my mom away from home, and still do!
I absolutely love this lady! Here is Jess, Dad's fiancee, and she is such fun person. I can't imagine not ever knowing her. She's loud, unique, fun, sassy, and sweet all rolled up in one. 

Those women have made a HUGE difference in my life, and I am indebted to them forever.

She is the only living grandma I have. She's technically Stu's grandma, and I suspect she's more than happy to be my grandma as well. I love that spunky woman! 

I grew up with Teri, and Sharon. They may be only good friends, but they are my sisters in spirit. 


This is Stu's Mom, Bobbie, and I am so, so lucky to have a wonderful mother in law. I'm always thankful to her (and Mike, of course) for raising the man of my dreams.
My sister-in-law, Jenni, is an amazing mother of three. My nephews, and niece are wonderful, imaginative, fun, and face it, awesome! They're so good to Forrest, and I can see them becoming friends.



Of course, there are so many more women in my life that are so important to me that aren't pictured up above. They are in my heart, and always will be especially Sweet Mama, and Grandma Gwen. 

My most important role as late.....I'm a mommy to a wonderful boy, Forrest!!!


Blessings to all of you women out there. Do have a blessed Mother's Day. For those who are struggling this weekend; we remember, walk with you, and acknowledge your struggles.

I leave you with a thoughtful prose by Amy Young that I feel is well suited to my philosophy. 





To those who gave birth this year to their first child—we celebrate with you

To those who lost a child this year – we mourn with you

To those who are in the trenches with little ones every day and wear the badge of food stains – we appreciate you

To those who experienced loss through miscarriage, birth, failed adoptions, or running away—we mourn with you

To those who walk the hard path of infertility, fraught with pokes, prods, tears, and disappointment – we walk with you. Forgive us when we say foolish things. We don’t mean to make this harder than it is.

To those who are foster moms, mentor moms, and spiritual moms – we need you

To those who have warm and close relationships with your children – we celebrate with you


To those who have disappointment, heart ache, and distance with your children – we sit with you

To those who lost their mothers this year – we grieve with you

To those who experienced abuse at the hands of your own mother – we acknowledge your experience

To those who lived through driving tests, medical tests, and the overall testing of motherhood – we are better for having you in our midst

To those who have aborted children – we remember them and you on this day

To those who are single and long to be married and mothering your own children – we mourn that life has not turned out the way you longed for it to be

To those who step-parent – we walk with you on these complex paths

To those who envisioned lavishing love on grandchildren -yet that dream is not to be, we grieve with you

To those who will have emptier nests in the upcoming year – we grieve and rejoice with you

And to those who are pregnant with new life, both expected and surprising –we anticipate with you

This Mother’s Day, we walk with you. Mothering is not for the faint of heart and we have real warriors in our midst. We remember you.
- Amy Young, An Open Letter to Pastors 

1 comment :

  1. That was lovely, and the photos were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete