Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Yummy St. Patrick's Day

Over the weekend, I watched a bunch of movies on Netflix, and the movies were what I grew up watching: Look Who's Talking, Look Who's Talking Too, and Look Who's Talking Now. Then Grease, Dirty Dancing, and Titanic were all thrown in the mix. Yeah, it was a movie weekend! It definitely made me nostalgic. I loved the late 80s/early 90s movies, because I grew with them, you know? It was fun catching up on the movies I haven't seen in years!   


We had a really yummy St. Patrick's meal the other day! I made Corned Beef in a pot, along with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes. I baked not one, not two, but three Irish Soda bread loaves! Yummy! We loved it so much that Stu requested me to cook Corned Beef again this week. I thought for a while what approach I should use to cook the meat, and decided on slow cooking this time. Besides, I had a lot to do, and it was nice just to toss everything in the crockpot to let them stew. I also thought it was going to be really interesting to compare those two methods, and see what trumped in flavor, texture, and taste! 

Here's a bit belated St. Patrick's fact: St. Patrick wasn't Irish, and later became a slave, due to being kidnapped by Irish Raiders, and later became devout to God, then used the color Blue, not Green, to represent his work, along with using Shamrock to preach trinity.

To add, March 17th is the anniversary of St. Patrick's Death. So we are essentially celebrating his sainthood through his death. 

Forrest appears to have developed a reaction on his face, near his lips, and on his chin, and I am thinking that it is worsening from the antihistamine cream that I got from his allergist a few weeks ago. I need to look into more about that. I know that sometime if you use a cream with steroid in it, then you can develop an allergy reaction to the steroid cream. It is pretty rare, though. Anyway, I put Vaseline on Forrest's face, and sure enough, by this morning, the patch on his face has faded away pretty much. 

At least I know it is not from something that he has eaten, or something we ate that may have affected him somehow. It is just that one would assume that antihistamine cream would help lessen the reaction...and apparently, it just makes it worse for Forrest. Weird? 

Forrest is awesome at picking up language lately! He has learned how to respond to signs: BATH, CHANGE (diapers), and SIT. Matter of fact, his favorite thing to do is to stand up on the changing table, even though he knows he should not be, and sign SIT SIT SIT to me, then wait for me to respond SIT, and he plops on his bottom so fast. As soon as he does that, he claps like crazy, then stands up again. Silly boy. Forrest does that during bath time as well! So funny.


We are still waiting for spring to make its arrival. It has been flirting a lot lately, but not sticking to its agenda, and stay around for good. Matter of fact, this morning, we have a bit of snow dusting! Go away, winter, go away already. I suppose this is what we get for living in Wisconsin, though. 

In the meanwhile, it can't hurt to hope!! 

1 comment :

  1. Sounds like a great weekend! Your dinner looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete